Wednesday 27 March 2013

Next Exit 27 Miles .....



I am in a weird state of mind today. A confused , dishevelled and sad state of mind. Things have been going haywire for quite a while now and though I am a resilient optimist , I have my days of despair and contemplation. I don't have any complaints because the best of songs are born from our worst of days.So , anyway , I just had a strange thought , assume for a while , you are lost in a forest , it is already getting dark , you are just walking where the path is leading you and after walking for miles you come to crossroads. You stand at the bifurcated path and wonder what lies to the other side of each of them.Time is running out , soon night will fall and then you may have to spend it alone in an unknown and scary place. You need to make a call , pronto ! You need to choose,which way is it going to be ? You toss a coin and choose the left one,not knowing that at the end of the right path ( aah! word play )was the most beautiful lodge on the bank of an awe inspiring river.You continue to traverse the path you had picked and realise in a while that you are going deeper and deeper into the forest , you hear the squeaks of bats and the howling of jackels in the vicinity, your heart is pumping faster , simultaneously you are wondering , " What if I had taken the other path?'

Life is not very different from the wild journey through a scary jungle. Have you ever wondered that it is possible to take one wrong (or right) turn and steer the course of your entire life ?

Okay, let's take a live scenario.I am in my 20s (now that was not necessary but soon I won't be able to mention it,so had to) and so are most of the people I know, hence the odds are that you too are in your 20s.I have led the very standard life of a pathetic engineer.I went to college , got a job in a multinational firm ,met a few people , made friends with some , had fall outs with others , fell in love once or twice and here I am , still searching for the "ONE".May be the story was a little different  for you, probably you found someone to settle down with during the course of your journey.Are you getting my point ? What if you had not gone to college wherever you went to college ? What if you had not been working where you are working ? What if you had not met all the people you have met till this point in your life ? What if you had taken up archealogy (yeah , that's an odd choice )  for that matter ? What if you had not lost your love (or had not been in love )? It is like driving on a freeway, sometimes you think ,"Hey !  gas ,  food , lodging everything is available at this exit, I should probably get off. At the same time you see the sign in front of you that says ,'Next Exit 27 miles' and you wonder ," May be I will make it there." Sometimes you do , sometimes you don't.

If you think about your life in retrospect , it seems so possible that instead of the scary jungle you could have ended up in the beautiful lodge.But then again who knows , may be my idea of the jungle is someone else's idea of a carefree lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment