Wednesday 20 February 2013

Alice and the myth of the wonderland


Down,down,down.Would the fall never come to an end!  Haven’t we all been there ? Come on now! It’s a no brainer.  Alright , alright. I mean with Alice ,to the wonderland. Geez ! Was that so tough ? You know what , I understand. We are all mad here. I mean , who knows what the hell  half of us are thinking at any given point of time? So, alright you are reading this. But how can I possibly be sure that what you understand is the same thing I wanted to convey when I wrote it.Oh! forget that , even I am not sure what I want to convey as I am writing it.I started with the vague idea of jotting down how when we were young  we thought that the world is a wonderland and then we grow up and life screws us down , we deduce that it isn’t. Now what is new about that.It is almost in every book. The remedy in turn is another self help book. How much it helps ? Well ,you tell me.I know I am kind of rambling here. I have lost my train of thoughts.






Al righty then , I am all aboard. What makes any one do anything ? Take me for example, why am I writing this? Why people are the way they are ? If you are reading this I assume you have had your fair share of friendships and animosities. Why it is that we hate some people almost the moment we meet them and fall head over heels in love with a few others?  If you are not an addict then you must have wondered ,how some people get hooked on prescription drugs? I am not vain and so I am sure that you are not a celebrity (give me a break now you would not be reading my blog if you were Brad Pitt) , in that case you must have wondered , why is it that celebrities change partners with the same frequency with which they change their outfits?
Everyday a lot of questions pop into my head. But that’s just me. A lot of people talk about the state of absolute thoughtlessness. The state where the mind is cleared of all the thoughts and ultimate peace is achieved. To attain this state one needs a lot of concentration. Over the ages, yogis and spiritual leaders have mastered the art of controlling their mind. But isn't the very thing which separates us from the animals is our ability to think. Imagine where we all be today if nobody had thought of electricity or fire or the wheel or even cooked food for that matter? Where actually are we headed with this thoughtlessness , back to the stone age ? I know I am answering my own question ,but when someone tells you the state of thoughtlessness , he is probably talking about the thoughts of the past. Yes , it is necessary to get rid of ‘the ghost of Christmas past’. I read somewhere that looking too long in the rear view mirror will distract you from looking what lies ahead. I confess to have dwelled too much in the past myself. It is attractive after all, its first selling point being not the unknown. Have you realized how your own house looks scary at night? It is because you cannot see it in the dark. In our mind we assume that someone is lurking in the shadows.I would have been very rich if I had had a nickel for every time I heard ,”Only if I could see into my future for once.”  We are scared of the future because we don’t know what is it going to bring to the table. Now, thoughtlessness is hard to achieve. So, we are left with two options ; either to worry about the future constantly or to form a pretty picture in our mind about what life is about to bring. It may bring us lonely walks of despair in the streets or romantic rides with our loved one in the Gondolas in Vatican City.But at least thinking about a happier tomorrow will bring a smile across your lips in the present moment. That is why ‘Alice in wonderland’ is such a classic, even when, the wonderland is a myth.




No comments:

Post a Comment